Sunday

update on stuff and things

I have decided to post only one update entry rather than back-date many. It will be long, but there is coffee to be had (at least for me).

PC application update - my doctor appointment was September 15th and the packet was logged in by the PC office on the 21st. I have to give kudos to my doctor as she more than made up for the last (non)appointment. Over an hour it took us to complete everything. I have received notice that the dental review has been cleared. Now I wait to find out what is needed to complete the medical review part. I am hoping that mine is an application which hits all lights green.

I've spent the better part of my adult life in some sort of employment limbo, thinking of each job as "for now". Typically, it has been my own complacency that kept me in stasis. This is the first time since 2001 that I am simply waiting for someone else. This is an uncomfortable feeling... I very much want to move forward with planning, but I cannot. No point. Until I know of my placement or rejection, I cannot plan.

So, I plan for something else! Nanowrimo 2010. Yes, it's that time again. Well, five weeks before that time - which means five weeks to plan. Despite my repeated failure to reach the 50,000 word mark, I am undaunted.

Inspiration backhanded me the other day and I have my general story line. The lofty goal of a unique and brilliant plot has been abandoned in favor of something easier. Them more I think about it, the more trite it seems, but I am not bothered. I don't much care how much of a cliche my plot is as I am likely to be the only person to read it. And we all know that I can be entertained by the same story told different ways (think bodice rippers or any of the vampire muck that weighs down my bookshelf). I fully expect to enjoy reading my own drivel. One must please oneself.

My humble aim is for a moderately compelling story exploring the idea of evil; the idea of evil rather than a story about evil deeds. I think it will be set in the Civil War South, somewhere in Georgia, likely near Atlanta. Right now, I'm in like with the idea of setting it in the months surrounding Lee's surrender (April 9th, 1865).

A plot outline (replete with details) is actively being wrought; thankfully, the characters seem to be forming in the background. So far, I am pretty comfortable with the idea that there will be a lady without living children who takes in an orphan with unusual skills. Add an almost elderly newspaper owner/editor/writer who's sweet on the lady and maybe a chic, top hat-wearing, mustachioed photographer. Of course, a few deserters of less than savory character, some starvation, a few cellars in which to hide from shelling, and a couple of hangings (maybe of said deserters). Big, big skirts. A vegetable garden. Likely a post-war excursion to Atlanta (I am currently reading a book about the lead up to and the burning of Atlanta).

I just had an idea! I have just written it down for incorporation into my plot outline. That said, I smile as I write this for my plot grows ever more trite. Nonetheless, I remain enthused.

Also, there has been travel. I went to Canada week before last. No computer access during the trip, so no daily blog posts, but I took notes. I shall put together some entries. Lots of critter sitting in October, so it may be a few weeks. If you're interested, my pictures are up on Flickr.

I'll just say that Vermont and Quebec are wonderful places to visit.

No comments: