Friday

opera, racing, writing

Heading to DFW tomorrow. Opera, visiting people, opera, visiting people, NASCAR.

This weekend I get to see Don Giovanni at the Dallas Opera. I am as excited as if I were going to a Hoodoo Gurus show. Maybe more so for I have never seen Don Giovanni live. Remember that scene from the movie Amadeus where Salieri is talking of the how the statue of the Commander Don Giovanni killed is like the ghost of his father condemning him? It was that scene that turned my maybe like of opera in to love. Salieri's explanation made me think that I understood the meaning behind the music. I know: movie drama. But I was 10. While I am better informed now, that feeling stuck. Not to mention, it is indeed an opera worthy of love. So excited.

And the artist performing as Don Giovanni is the super talented hottie, Paulo Szot. SO excited.

Saturday, after a day's running around visiting people I love, I go to the opera to see Anna Bolena by Donizetti. I've neither never seen nor heard this particular opera before and it is not known to be one of Donizetti's bets, but I am nonetheless very much looking forward to it. If the singing or the pace is not so much to my liking, I am certain the orchestration and costumes will make me happy to be there.

Sunday is NASCAR day in Texas Motor Speedway. Section 444, Row 58. Pretty darned good seats and good weather is forecast.

Busy busy weekend. Feeling a little crazy about it, really. It will be wonderful to see so many people, but I do know the appeal of secretly slipping in and out of town. I hope the rental car is comfy for I will be spending much time in its seat.

I'm up to an average of 1,000 words a day on Nanowrimo. Not nearly enough (average of 1,667 is needed to reach the goal by November 30th), but I am doing better than any previous year. This weekend the writing will be tricky as I'm going to be away from a computer, but I think I will be happy if I manage to longhand at least one college-rule page a day. Saturday might be the most difficult, as my free time is to be spent driving. I am certain I can find ten minutes to sneak off a page.

So far, I find the first few pages are bor-ring, but it is picking up as I hit my stride. I remind myself, when I start getting bogged down in the idea of wanting to write well, that it need not be something anyone else wants to read. Not at this point. Writing during Nanowrimo is like knitting a swatch - just enough to give me the idea of what I am looking to see. Just enough is good enough for now.

No comments: