Thursday

I can't believe I forgot to post about this...

I wrote a short little update and forgot about it for, oh, three weeks. To be fair, I didn't want to post of my invitation until I had given notice at work.

So. I gave notice on January 31st. I have accepted an invitation from the Peace Corps to be a secondary teacher of English in Ukraine (not the Ukraine, which I am forever self-correcting). I leave for staging (the preliminary orientation event) in DC March 21st. March 22nd I get on a plane with 40+ other volunteers and head for Ukraine. Wow. Wow.

I must confess that I feel a bit lucky to have been selected for Ukraine... Many volunteers have flush toilets, showers and even reliable internet in their domicile. Keeping in mind that there are no guarantees of this plushy life, there is also no guarantee that I will have to trek 10 yards in the snow to get to an outhouse at 4am. I am mentally prepared for both.

No comments: