Saturday

warning: it is a long-winded sort of day

Last weekend I went to DC with H. The impetus for our trip was my wanting to see the Hoodoo Gurus.

Last time I saw them in DC it was at a venue with a capacity of about 500 and there were maybe 150 people there. Wide open. This time, they booked themselves into a 160 person venue... it was sold out when we walked up to the door an hour before showtime. I had had no idea - that the venue was so tiny nor that it would come close to selling out. It was stupid of me, I know. Tickets were not sold in advance and, according to the surprisingly pleasant and apologetic doorkeeper, there had been a line at the door by 4pm. Even if we'd been able to get to DC by 4pm, I would not have thought to check out the venue. No. Clue. So. Still quite sad about it, really.

But I have seen them a number of times and, considering that they "retired" (Farve style) a while ago, I'm happy to have seen them a few years ago. I may be a little sad to not have seen a super fantastic show by my favorite band ever, but I am not dwelling.

Thankfully, the trip's purpose was three pronged: Hoodoo Gurus, visiting my fabulous friend M., and the Gorillaz concert. Two out of three wonderful things in three days means that it was a wonderful weekend.

The drive up and back was easy and relatively traffic-stupidness free. The weather was gorgeous. M., as always, a gracious and most generous host.

We left Atlanta around 7:15 Saturday morning, and after ten hours in the car H. and I were more than happy to help M. finish up her bulb and pansies planting. After planting was done, M. took a shower, I hosed off the driveway (and scraped it free of clay - disgusting, poo colored, sandy Virginia clay) and H. took the dog for a walk. We had a lovely dinner, the failed attempt to see a show, and H. and I went to see a movie in place of said show. It would have made me too sad to just get back in the car and head back to the house. I must say, H.'s iPhone (hereafter to be thought of as the Magical Black Box) saved me because H. was able to find a movie for us to see. It's Kind of A Funny Story. A lovely movie, if a bit trite. Smart, fun and witty. In its life-lesson-learned-sharing way, the ending is evocative of Trainspotting. A perfect movie to see on that particular Saturday night.

Sunday we met some folks for brunch and then went to Old Town Alexandria to wander amongst the hoards of people shopping. It was hot and crowded... true, it is likely that I would not have found it so very hot if it hadn't been so crazy busy crowded. I did manage to find a couple of Christmas gifts, M. found some shoes, and we had ice cream while sitting on a bench (in the shade) watching the Potomac. The wind was blowing in such a way as to create the illusion that the river was stationary.

That evening we were joined by N. (a close friend of H.'s) for a dinner of fabulous cheeses, baguette, olive tapenade, carrots, grapes and hummus. And two bottles of red wine. Finished by a few of M.'s amazing ginger molasses cookies (from a recipe in the Washington Post). Such tasty, sugary crunchy cookies.

Monday, N. joined us again for a trip to Mt. Vernon. It is different than the last time I visited; they now have an orientation center, a museum and an education center. The education center was too much like Chuckee Cheese. The center's set up is one where you must walk though every 'room' to get out; each section blends into the next in both physical orientation and noise. Lights and video and sound coming at you from every angle. I walked through this as if on my way out. Though, I did stop once to look at the wee exhibit on Washington's dentures. Truly, how could I not? When I get my photos uploaded, I'll post a picture of the most asinine exhibit caption I have ever read.

We had dinner at home and then N., H. and I headed to the Patriot Center for the Gorillaz concert. It was fabulous. There are at least 20 people onstage at any time; then there are the guest artists that come on for their particular songs. Amazing! For this album, we get half of the Clash (Nick Jones and Paul Simonon). On the album as well as in DC were: De la Soul, Bobby Womack, Mos Def, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Little Dragon and a couple of others I cannot remember. When the artist cannot be there for the tour gigs, their vocal track is played over the live music. Much cooler if they are there. Mos Def was a fantastic surprise.

A set of photos from S. when he saw them two days before in Boston.

I'm working on photos... maybe next week.

No comments: